Day 25, Winter Feeder
Birds, a list poem
They enchant in the woods,
in the fields, by the creek,
in the tall poplar with its shallow roots,
the scruffy shrubs with their dense tangle,
siskins in the spruce, chickadees in the elm.
Their songs and calls
persistent, personable,
weave around and through,
alone, harmonic;
shrill, dreamy, trills, whistles,
I hear them, I hear them all,
acapella cacophony —
the song in my head, my song
reduced to a dull human drone.
They flock to my offering,
a cedar box suspended
with energy overflowing
in flax, sunflower, millet seeds,
peanuts, corn, suet cakes;
architects of the forest,
how they must marvel
at the seance I perform
wooden body of bottomless food,
floating in midair.
Under the feeder, the ground is crawling
with finch, cowbird, wren and jay,
flicker, dove, sparrow, bunting,
magic forest gems of plume and beak and bone.
Spell-bound, I cannot look away
even to put my morning coffee on.
The puppy, let loose, barks at shadows cast by beating
wings,
the sudden uprush of so many fleeing things
threatens to carry her away.
Perched nearby, watching like me,
the sharp-shinned, red-tailed, rough-legged threat,
more often felt than seen in the shadows,
and then the beating wings, the sudden downrush grab
of startled feeding things, carried away.
No comments:
Post a Comment